Before we talk about how to live a meaningful life, do you know what constitutes a meaningful life? As you suspected, that answer will ultimately be different for each person but fear not here is a basic place to start. Living a meaningful life encompasses developing a sense of purpose, fulfillment, satisfaction, and balance. Ok, that’s great but how do I start living that type of life. Well, that’s where we will begin.
We have discussed living boldly and living authentically, now we will discuss living meaningfully. I remind you of the other two because they go hand-in-hand with living a meaningful life. So hopefully you have taken time to determine what living boldly and authentically mean for you. Now we will devote time to finding what brings us meaning. Lifehack has a list of 10 ideas to help you find meaning in your life. I include them below because the activities are very similar to what I have done to find meaning in my life. Because I couldn’t help myself, I put my variations in parenthesis. Neither is right they are just different perspectives.
1) Know what’s important (What do you value?)Have you stopped to figure what is truly important to you? I take it a step further, what do you value? As you will learn about me, I value my peace above all else. Secondly, I value feeling that what I am doing has positive meaning not just for me but for as many people as I can help.
2) Pursue your passion (Hone your gift)I heard Dr. Myles Munroe say that we shouldn’t be pursuing our passion but rather honing our gifts. That resonated with me because as he stated, the Bible talks about gifts and not passion. What is my gift and how am I using it to better the lives of others?
3) Discover your life’s purpose now that I know my gifts, what is my purpose? How am I to use those gifts? How will I know that I have discovered my purpose and that I am fulfilling it to the best of my ability?
4) Be self-awareI am going to write an entire post on self-awareness. I think I have made being self-aware into a terrible, terrible thing for me. More on that later. But without taking self-awareness to the extreme, how self-aware are you? Are you able to assess yourself with clarity and humility?
5) Focus (Focus on today, not the past, not the future, but today. Focus on being better.)In this day and age, we seemingly lack focus. We are consistently being asked to multi-task, help others, learn from the past, plan for the future, etc. I have done and will probably advise you to do all those things at some point. However, I will also ask you to focus on one thing at a time. In one of my leadership classes, I learned that multitasking is possible if you want to be just passable at everything you are doing. Rather if you want to be excellent, you must give each task the focus it deserves at the right time.to focus on one thing at a time. In one of my leadership classes, I learned that multitasking is possible if you want to be just passable at everything you are doing. Rather if you want to be excellent, you must give each task the focus it deserves at the right time.
6) Choose people over things (Choose experiences over things)This has become the mantra of 2018 and into 2019. I no longer choose things. I choose experiences. I will rather be able to say I’ve been there, seen it, and experienced that over I just bought that. As we will discuss, meaningful experiences do not have to cost money. Of course, it would be nice to experience the Northern Lights or sunrise in Macchu Picchu, but how about a sunrise in the local park with friends or exploring a new part of town with your sister?
7) Live with Compassion (Live to leave the world better than you found it)What would happen if we all treated each other with compassion? I read a quote that I cannot find after much searching that said something to the effect of it is your job to leave each person you encounter better off than you met them.
8) Find a way to give back (Give of your time, talents, and treasure)Gandhi said the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
9) Simplify your life Look around do you have too much stuff, too much busyness, too much? If you do find ways to purge yourself of the things and tasks that are eating up valuable time and energy.
10) Set daily goals,